How to Make Natural Carpet Cleaner
If you have kids or pets then you likely have carpet stains. The dilemma is finding an effective carpet cleaner that is safe for children and pets. There are many effective carpet cleaners on the market but they can contain toxic or harsh chemicals.
The good news is that you can make your own carpet spot cleaner that is quick, safe and effective. Simply follow this DIY recipe to make carpet cleaner.
Natural Carpet Cleaner
- 1/4 cup of Borax
- 1/4 cup of Salt
- 1/3 cup of Vinegar
- Mix the ingredients in a small bowl and make a paste
- Blot the stain (if wet) and pick up any debris
- Using a cloth, rub the paste into stained area of the carpet
- Let the paste sit for a few hours until it dries
- Vacuum up the dried paste
- Wipe up any remaining remnants with a wet rag
- If any remnants of the stain remain scrub the stained area with wet rag
- Let the area dry and vacuum one last time.
DIY TIP:Test the carpet spot cleaner recipe first in hidden or discrete location to ensure it works well for your carpet type and color.
**If you are wanting to clean the entire carpet, not just spot clean we recommend using a steam cleaning system with no chemicals.**
Natural Carpet Deodorizer
If you have pets or kids you know they have a tendency to make messes on the carpet…bad smelling messes. Carpet stains can be removed but sometimes an odor is still left.
Follow this simple baking soda and tea tree oil recipe to help remove odors on your carpet. This recipe also works great for removing odors from couches or inside a car. Baking soda and tea tree oil do a great job of absorbing and neutralizing odors. It’s a simple and low cost way to remove odors from carpet and upholstered furniture.
Natural Carpet Deodorizer
- Combine 4-5 drops of tea tree oil to 1/2 cup of baking soda. You can adjust the proportions for treating larger or smaller areas.
- Sprinkle the baking soda mixture over the affected carpet area
- Let the mixture sit on the carpet for 1-2 hours (or overnight if possible).
- Vacuum up the mixture to remove it from the carpet.
- Baking Soda
- Tea Tree Oil
- Add 4-5 drops of tea tree oil to ½ cup of baking soda. Adjust proportions if treating a larger area
- Sprinkle baking soda mixture on carpet area
- Let it sit for 1-2 hours (or overnight if possible) to allow the odors to absorb in the baking soda.
- Vacuum up the baking soda mixture.
Natural Furniture Polish – Homemade Pledge
Give dust the boot with this all natural furniture polish. Most commercial furniture polish uses areosol cans and can contain other harmful chemicals. No need to worry about areosols or other chemicals with this DIY furniture polish, simply spray and wipe the dust away!
The olive oil in the furniture polish treats the wood and gives it a natural shine. The white vinegar provides the cleaning power while the lemon juice gives it a fresh clean scent. These 3 simple but effective ingredients will keep your wood furniture clean and glowing.
Natural Furniture Polish Recipe
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar
- 1 cup of warm water
- Pour ingredients into a spray bottle
- Shake the bottle to mix the ingredients together
- Spray wood furniture and wipe clean with a cotton or microfiber cloth
Make Homemade Air Freshener with Essential Oils
Commercial air fresheners may smell good but can contain toxic chemicals. People sensitive to these chemicals may have headaches, migraines or breathing issues. Replacing traditional air fresheners with essential oils is a great way to keep your house smelling great but without the harmful chemicals.
Essential oils can be purchased online or at your local craft store. Essential oils come in a variety of great smelling scents such as lavender, orange, peppermint and lemon grass. Using a diffuser is a great way spread essential oils throughout your house but its not neccessary. I like this DIY way of making home air freshener because it in your house, car or clothes.
Homemade Air Freshener with Essential Oils
- Fill a 160z spray bottle with warm water
- Put 10+ drops of your favorite essential oil in the spray bottle (Add more drops to adjust the smell to your liking)
- Shake the bottle well for 30 seconds and shake again before each additional use
- Spray in your car or room to provide a great smelling scent without any toxic chemicals!
- A 16 oz. clean spray bottle
- Warm water
- Essential oil(s)
- Fill the spray bottle with water leaving approximately 1 inch from the top.
- Use 8-10 drops of your favorite essential oils (adjust amount to your liking)
- Shake for 30 seconds. Shake again before each use.